Distance Learning; It is an education system in accordance with today’s conditions, where the lessons are taught visually and audibly through computers, tablets or phones without the obligation of students and faculty members to go to schools, and allows the student to watch the lessons later.
Advantages of Distance Education
- Distance Learning; It offers education regardless of class size (to a wide range of students).
- It provides the course to be taught with advanced facilities.
- Provides access to information at any time.
- It allows people who have to work to continue their education at the same time.
- It eliminates the additional needs such as transportation, accommodation, accommodation and nutrition required in face-to-face training.
- It provides a better interaction between student and teacher.
- It saves time.
- It provides the opportunity to benefit from the educational opportunities of universities in different countries of the world.
- It provides the opportunity to present new teaching strategies by moving away from traditional lecture methods.
- It minimizes the inequality of opportunity.
- It allows the student to learn at his own pace of learning and understanding.
- Provides reduction in training cost.
- It enables students to gain the responsibility of learning individually.
Disadvantages of Distance Education
- Lack of effective communication due to the large number of students.
- Limitations caused by the teaching of practical and experimental courses
- Teachers not being able to take care of each student sufficiently due to the large number of students in the system.
- Teachers’ inability to give enough attention to the lessons taught in the classroom, in the distance education system
- Observing the increase in distraction in students
- Students having difficulty in planning their time
- Increased reluctance to study and study due to movement restriction
- Internet connection problems
- Operating as a group, not allowing the work to be carried out
- Taking lessons with distance education and going to school for exams
Student in Distance Education
Since students have not encountered such an education system before, they inevitably experience adaptation problems. While a certain section approves the distance education system, the remaining section does not approve this system. One of the reasons why it is not approved is that face-to-face training is considered to be more efficient. What if I don’t understand what the students have experienced? What if I stay in the classroom? Teachers and parents have important responsibilities to minimize such anxiety.
First, students should be informed about the functioning of distance education. Afterwards, it is necessary to provide a quiet environment where the student can be comfortable. Because the presence of facts that make the situation more difficult will adversely affect the student who tries to get used to this new system. Parents are required to follow the students more often and to establish dialogue without applying pressure. Questions should be asked about what the child has learned after the end of the lesson, whether he has difficulties in his relationship with his teacher, and the effect of this system on him and his answers should be listened carefully.
Teacher in Distance Education
In the process of distance education, teachers should not start the lesson directly, and they should establish relaxing sentences in a conversation atmosphere beforehand. This can make the student relax and think that the situation will not be as difficult as it seems. A narrative method that is more interesting, enjoyable and enables the active participation of the student should be applied in the lessons. At the end of the lesson, it is imperative that the teacher asks if there are any people who do not understand what he has told about the lesson and get feedback from everybody. It is necessary to determine where the people who do not understand have difficulty in understanding and if necessary, that subject should be told again with different techniques. Students should be asked to do research on the subject of the lesson that day, and the permanence of the subject should be tried to be increased. It is very important that parents’ meetings held in schools to talk about the situation of the students are held at certain time intervals by using the distance education system platform. It is anticipated that these meetings will serve as a guide on how teachers and parents should follow this process.
The Importance of Technology in Distance Education
While technology is an integral part of our daily life, this situation has now moved to education. Distance Learning; In addition to the use of technology in education through different communication ways, the use of this system should be planned and adapted to education by evaluating all situations in the process. If the order of these is not well maintained, it will adversely affect the quality and efficiency of education. The two-way distance education being carried out only from computers and smart devices creates an unequal education model for students who do not have access to these devices.